Awarded Contract Details
Service Provision of Transforming Museums – Interim Management – Project Support
Awarding body Derby City Council
DescriptionTenders are invited for the provision of Interim Management – Project Support in relation to the establishment of a Derby Museums charitable trust.
Derby’s Museums Service has been built up by the borough or city council through a century and a half of commitment and investment. The Service operates three museums. The Museum and Art Gallery is the main museum and houses the designated Joseph Wright of Derby collection. Pickford’s House is a Georgian town house which reflects life of that era. The Silk Mill (since 1974 Derby’s Museum of Industry and History) is the city’s most famous landmark, the city centre’s anchor point for the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site and the site of the world’s first factory.
In 2010, Derby Museums instigated a major review of its museums and developed a transformation programme, with five main objectives:
1) Instigate a plan from April 2011 for the overall re-development of the Silk Mill as the city’s major visitor attraction. In order to do this, the Silk Mill Industrial Museum to be mothballed in March 2011.
2) Carry out an affordable rolling redevelopment programme for the City Museum and Art Gallery with immediate effect.
3) Instigate a programme to take Derby’s museum collections into community venues from 2011.
4) Continue to operate Pickford’s House Museum, whilst building a partnership to support the establishment of an international centre for Joseph Wright, located within the museum.
5) Re-structure the Museums Service by April 2011 as a transitional phase towards a new governance model, based on greater entrepreneurialism and the building of partnerships that are national as well as local.
The provision of Interim Management – Project Support is primarily in respect of Objective 5 (highlighted above). However, the new organisation will have responsibility for delivery of all five objectives within the Transforming Museums Programme. Therefore Project Support is likely to extend to one or more other aspects of the Programme.
The areas of development for the new trust are set out in 12 workstreams; the Interim Management - Project Support will contribute to establishing the new organisation alongside other members of the Project team:
Detailed business planning
Dialogue with key external stakeholders / communications plan
Securing additional funding
Members, officers, dialogue
Recruitment of trustees
Recruitment of chief operating officer / Directors
Detailed contractual arrangements for handover
Compiling of essential policies and procedures for the Trust to go live
Branding and preparation of first year marketing plan
Defining / refining the rationale for the new organisation
|Start date||2nd April 2012|
|End date||31st December 2012|
23 March 2012
International Hosiery Ltd
45 Hudson St
Leics LE11 1EJ